Running a pizza restaurant? Don’t settle for an analog cash register, or even a generic point of sale system. Here’s why: a pizza POS system does everything a generic system does, and more. In an industry as competitive and cutthroat as ours — pizza hit a market cap of 58.3 billion U.S. dollars in 2022 – it’s critical to give yourself the best chance at standing out and maximizing earnings by using tools that are designed just for the pizza experience and operation.
A pizza POS system (point-of-sale system) lets you process payments, track sales, and monitor your overall business performance. It also connects all your essential tools — think online ordering, loyalty programs, delivery systems, accounting software, and more.
- Pizza POS systems help you increase your revenue by offering online ordering, delivery, and catering options, not to mention automatic upselling and cross-selling.
- Intelligent inventory management and task automation can improve staff productivity and reduce labor costs.
- Pizza POS systems can enhance staff productivity and performance by automating tasks, scheduling shifts, and tracking labor costs and tips.
- Pizza menus and discount rules are crazy complex, so pizza-specific POS systems are tailored to handle complicated custom orders and discount rules.
- Cloud-based POS systems give you real-time access to business data for targeted marketing and decision-making, with remote management.
Let’s get started.
First, What Is A Pizza POS System?
A pizza POS (point of sale) system is the center point of a pizza shop’s customer experience and foodservice operation. Designed specifically for pizza shops, pizza POS systems are equipped to handle challenges that are unique to the pizza industry, like extremely complex coupon and discount rules, or wild levels of pizza customization (and complex pricing that follows).
But pizza POS system are about more than taking orders—they connect all your tech together, from marketing and loyalty platforms to inventory and purchasing tools. Pizza shops that invest in a pizza-specific POS build a solid foundation on which to operate and grow a profitable business.
7 Reasons to Invest in A Pizza-Specific POS System
A pizza POS system is the foundation for your pizza business’s success.
That’s because the right POS allows you to do so much more than a simple cash register. It handles the behind-the-scenes complexities that are essential for your business—think delivery management, loyalty programs, and even marketing.
“Simple Simon’s Pizza partnered with HungerRush because they understand the pizza business and the challenges that come with the complexity of orders. We are excited to grow with HungerRush!” – Dustin Jones, Simple Simon’s Pizza EVP Franchise Operations
But here’s the rub. Many POS providers aren’t restaurant industry experts. They’ve never worked on the line in a kitchen and only have a theoretical view of how to manage a pizzeria. You need a partner with skin in the game, who knows the ins and outs of the pizza industry.. A pizza-specific POS provider who has been in your shoes.
Let’s dive into the 7 benefits of investing in a pizza-specific POS system.
1. Custom Menus, Pricing, Discounts… Everything
If you enjoy ordering pizza, you know that the menu is everything. It’s what makes your mouth water and your stomach growl. It’s what sets you apart from the rest of the pizza places in town. And it’s where you do the dance of building custom pizzas.
Generic POS systems struggle to keep up with all the customizations and complex pricing and coupon rules. That’s where a pizza POS system comes in.
- A POS That Speaks Pizza. Pizza has some of the most complicated menus of any QSR. Between custom toppings, half-and-halfs, extra cheeses, and dips, it’s no wonder generic POS systems struggle to keep up.
- A POS That Updates, Effortlessly. With a pizza POS, updating your menu is a breeze. Swap out specials, add trending toppings, or modify prices instantly. Reduce errors and improve consistency by broadcasting menus to all your stores and channels in just a few clicks.
- A POS That Knows Its Coupons. Applying coupons to an already complicated menu can confuse even the most well-intentioned of POS systems. When investing in a POS, make sure the system is capable of handling complex pizza coupon rules with ease.
All of the above? That’s something that HungerRush POS can do. Plus:
- Easily handle complex orders for customizable items like half-and-half pizzas or “light” and “extra” ingredients — with ingredient upcharges are applied automatically
- Track and apply complex coupons and discounts that update pricing automatically, thanks to highly-flexible rulesets
- Increase ticket size with specials presented automatically during order assembly
Curious? Click the link below to learn more.
Learn More: All-In-One Restaurant POS System | HungerRush
2. Kitchen Display System
We recommend investing in a POS that integrates with your Kitchen Display System (KDS). That’ll help you maximize your workflow, minimize human error, and drive up your profit margins.
- Keep your kitchen team on the same page with instant order updates. A KDS replaces traditional paper tickets, reducing the risk of errors and fostering clear communication during peak hours. That means less chance of communication errors between your serving staff and the kitchen–everything is natively connected via the KDS.
- Say goodbye to kitchen chaos. The KDS displays orders in a clear and organized manner, letting your team focus on service with a smile.
- The KDS is more than a display—it’s a customizable assistant. Set up alerts for busy periods, special orders, or unique preparation instructions. Adapt it to your kitchen’s specific requirements for a personalized touch.
Having a pizza POS that natively integrates into your KDS is something that needs to be experienced. It’s not just about efficiency, it’s about creating an environment where your kitchen team can thrive.
3. Native Delivery Integrations for Smoother Delivery Ops
Delivery and takeout are the cornerstones of your business, and critical to any POS system made for pizza shops. Ensuring that the delivery experience is top-shelf is a key part of that.
A pizza POS that integrates with your delivery systems–both first and third-party–can ensure a smooth customer experience from the kitchen to the doorstep.
- Live Pizza Tracking. Let your customers follow the journey of their pizza, turning the unclear wait into a visual delight and enhancing the overall experience.
- Optimized Routes, Faster Delivery. It’s not just about getting there; it’s about getting there efficiently. HungerRush’s tech-savvy approach optimizes delivery routes, ensuring your pizzas arrive promptly and piping hot.
- Crystal Clear Communication. From automated updates to personalized messages, a delivery experience isn’t just silent transactions—it’s a dialogue. So keep your customers in the loop and engaged throughout the process.
Pizza POS systems can natively integrate with your delivery systems and automate a lot of these processes. That means your customers get a delivery experience that delights rather than frustrates.
“Restaurant owners and operators have to understand where customers are feeling disengaged and how they can work to ensure their overall experience with the restaurant is a positive one or else it will impact their brand loyalty. When restaurants embrace technology to empower their staff, many common areas of complaints from customers can be resolved, or eliminated completely.” — Olivier Thierry, CRO of HungerRush
4. Pizza POS Makes Inventory Management Easy
Inventory management is one of the most challenging aspects of running a pizza business. You need to keep track of your ingredients, avoid spoilage, and manage your costs.
But what if there was a way to simplify and streamline your inventory management? Here’s how a pizza POS can help:
- Automated Tracking. Don’t wait on the next inventory cycle count to get a sense for your inventory level. A pizza POS can automate the tracking process, giving you real-time insights into your stock levels without the hassle.
- Smart Restocking Alerts. Receive intelligent restocking alerts that ensure you’re always well-stocked without the risk of over-ordering or running out of crucial ingredients.
- Waste Reduction. Minimize waste with precision – identify slow-moving menu items, track expiration dates, and optimize order quantities to trim excess.
A good POS turns inventory management from a daily grind to a strategic advantage. Pizza POS systems are designed not just to count your stock but to optimize it, ensuring your kitchen operates smoothly and your costs stay in check. That can be a significant amount, with 10% of the food purchased by restaurants ending up as waste.
5. A Pizza POS Keeps Your Customers Coming Back For Seconds
Online ordering isn’t just a trend. It’s a necessity for restaurants that want to stay competitive in the digital age. Younger customers, especially millennials and Gen Z, are increasingly using their phones and apps to order food from their favorite places.
According to our research:
- 65% of younger customers order food online
- 62% use a phone
- 79% of younger customers want to use technology to place food orders
- 51% through a restaurant’s app
- 38% through a third-party app
But how can restaurants make sure they are delivering the best online ordering experience possible? How can they leverage their POS system to streamline their operations and boost their profits?
Restaurants that want to attract and retain younger customers should invest in their online ordering experience and first-party app.
We know what you’re thinking–what does that have to do with POS?
“There is no shortage of restaurants to choose from for consumers, which makes it essential that restaurants are creating personalized, streamlined, and connected experiences at every touch point.” — Olivier Thierry, CRO of HungerRush
Short answer? A lot.
A good POS system will natively integrate with your online ordering platform and app. That means you don’t have to sift through multiple reports and dashboards to get a clear idea of how your business is doing. Everything is in a single document, waiting for you.
6. Run Your Pizza Restaurant From Anywhere
Cloud-based POS systems are the future of POS. That’s no hyperbole — the market is set to be worth $13.24 billion by 2028. A cloud-based pizza POS system lets you make menu changes, track inventory, and adjust pricing from anywhere.
That means you can:
- Access your restaurant’s vital data from anywhere, anytime. Manage operations, check performance metrics, and stay in control, whether you’re at the counter, on the go, or relaxing at home.
- Keep your finger on the pulse with real-time updates. Whether it’s tracking sales, monitoring inventory, or analyzing customer trends, the cloud ensures you’re always working with the latest information.
- Say Sayonara to data loss worries. The cloud automatically backs up your critical information, providing peace of mind and protecting your business from unexpected hiccups.
A cloud-based POS is a game-changer that simplifies your daily tasks, boosts collaboration, and future-proofs your business for whatever comes next.
Learn More: Benefits of Cloud-Based POS Software
7. The Right Pizza POS Handles Customer Data Like A Marketing Pro
Third-party apps like Uber Eats are putting up walls between you and your customer data. This customer data is worth its weight in gold — it allows you to craft data-backed marketing and turn one-off customers into your biggest fans.
“The survey showed us that 39% of consumers are not using third-party delivery apps. At HungerRush, we see this as a huge market opportunity for QSR operators to bring consumers directly to their sites or mobile apps to communicate, engage, and learn about their consumers’ ordering behaviors.” –Olivier Thierry
But you don’t have to have a degree in marketing (or even a marketing team) to leverage this powerful data. You just need a pizza POS system that can:
- See and search all customer data from a central dashboard, including contact information, order history, preferences, loyalty status, and more.
- Tracks sales and orders per hour, identify trends and understand consumer behavior with custom reporting.
- Easily look up your customers’ loyalty information by phone number, email address, or loyalty ID.
This data allows you to select the best time to send promotions to your customers, craft targeted messages that encourage repeat orders, and incentivize loyalty by analyzing their past ordering patterns.
Learn More: HungerRush 360 Marketing for Restaurants
Get The POS System Built For Pizza
Want more information on HungerRush and Pizza-specific POS systems? Read on.
- HungerRush POS Wins In Pizza: Menu and Delivery Management
- HungerRush Wins In Pizza: Omnichannel Ordering and Customer Engagement
- HungerRush Wins In Pizza: Customer Service and HungerRush 360
HungerRush has been a trusted partner for pizza shop owners for over 20 years. We combine the power of tech with our first-hand experience in the pizza industry to help businesses like yours grow sustainably and profitability.
We understand your challenges because we have faced them ourselves. That’s why we’re dedicated to crafting a POS system that meets the unique challenges of running a pizzeria.
Ready to take your pizza business to the next level?
Contact us today and find out how HungerRush can help you achieve your business goals. Your journey to a more profitable, sustainable, and manageable pizza business starts today.
“HungerRush continues to be the leading POS provider in the pizza category.” — Steve Jackson, Hungry Howie’s
The post 7 Benefits of Pizza POS Systems (The Profitable Pizza Shop’s Best Tool) appeared first on HungerRush.